Sunday, March 07, 2010

A Parenthesis

Sunday, March 07, 2010 Share: Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook

From “Up in the Air” – A scene between Ryan (George Clooney) and Alex (Vera Farmiga) that I have no words to describe. And it’s a brilliant, must-watch movie.

(Ryan's phone rings)
Ryan: Alex?
Alex: what were you thinking showing up at my door like that?
Ryan: What do you mean? I wanted to see you, I didn't know you had a family? Why wouldn't you tell me that?
Alex: Look, I'm sorry I ruined your evening but I'm.. You could've seriously screwed things up for me. That's .. that's my family. That's my real life.
Ryan: I thought I was a part of your real life
Alex: I thought we signed up for the same thing.
Ryan: Try and help me understand. Exactly, what is it that you signed up for?
Alex: I thought our relationship was perfectly clear. I mean.. You are ... an escape. You're a break from my normal life. You are ... a parenthesis.
Ryan: I'm a parenthesis?
Alex: I mean ...what do you want? (pause)
Alex: Tell me what you want.
Ryan: (Silence)
Alex: You don't even know what you want
Alex: I'm a grown up, ok? So, if you would like to see me again, then give me a call. (pause)
Alex:ok?
Ryan: ...
(disconnects phone)

 

2 comments:

Dr. Gonzo said...

Thanks for putting this up. This scene, actually the words in the dialogue were stuck in my head for a long time after I saw the film.

Especially the

"Alex: I mean ...what do you want? (pause) "

That frankly freaks me out coz words in the same context have been asked of me. And the words just feel way real. The response feels way real.

Btw, I must confess that I figured out by the middle of the film that Alex was going to turn out married by the end. That is just how the story was built up to be!

Sriram Iyer said...

Yeah, Great movie. The director handled the scene very well. He could have blown it up and made a mess of it. But he didn't. Great movie, I'll never understand why it didn't win the Oscar for the best movie.

Post a Comment

Standard text - no abuse, stay on topic, etc.

 
Design by Pocket